[IPython-dev] How to use SSHLauncher to_send and to_fetch settings?

Michał Nowotka mmmnow at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 08:10:28 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to set my IPython cluster composed of several machines. I'm
planning to install ipython engines on machines living on the same nfs.
Unfortunately, the controller should be installed on machine without access
to nfs.

Looking at Ipython documentation I though this is impossible to configure
using ipcluster:

"Currently *ipcluster* requires that the
IPYTHONDIR/profile_<name>/securitydirectory live on a shared
filesystem that is seen by both the controller
and engines. If you don't have a shared file system you will need to use
*ipcontroller* and *ipengine* directly."

But SSH mode specific instructions, bring some hope:

"If your machines are on a shared filesystem, this step is unnecessary, and
can be skipped by setting these to empty lists..."

So, if my machines are NOT on a shared filesystem, I can use to_send and
to_fetch to get around, right?
The problem is, there is no example of how to set to_send and to_fetch
settings in order to get it working without shared fs.
Can you give me some example, any advice, hint would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Michal Nowotka