[IPython-dev] Missing IPython module on Dev Branch

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:17:32 EDT 2014

On 4 April 2014 00:57, PRAKHAR gaur <prakhar_aaidu16 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I thought the prefix option can be used just the way it works for
> Autotools configure script.

I believe it can, but you still need to install Python packages to
somewhere that Python will look. Normal values for prefix are /usr and
/usr/local.

> *A) If I want to use the system installed version(0.13.1**) of ipython ,
> how do I do that ?*

You'd have to ensure that the system ipython script (/usr/bin/ipython) came
before the other one on $PATH, and the system IPython package is first on
sys.path. If you want to use both versions, I would recommend installing
the new version in a virtualenv, then activate and deactivate the
virtualenv.

> and,
>
> When I try running a notebook,
> $ipython2 notebook illumina_overview_tutorial.ipynb
> or
> $/home/prakhar/.local/bin/ipython2 notebook
> illumina_overview_tutorial.ipynb
>
> *B) ipython reports an error about missing "jinja2" module, *
> *the OS installed ipython can run notebooks just fine.*
> *What can be wrong here ?*

Newer versions of IPython require things that the older version of IPython
doesn't.

Make a virtualenv, activate it, and run:

pip install ipython[notebook]

This will get all the dependencies for it.

Thomas