[IPython-dev] Widget idea: Global Parameters

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 15:38:01 EDT 2014

On 5 April 2014 12:26, Matthias BUSSONNIER <bussonniermatthias at gmail.com>wrote:

> I might misremember and/or misunderstand , but it seem to me that theses
> propositions have already been
> disscussed on the ML, and that the response was that such a thing is  out
> of scope for the time being.
>
> It is relatively easy to build as a standalone project and IIRC some
> project like runipy already
> implement theses functions. (cf copy from read me below)

Passing parameters from the command line isn't really the same as what this
discussion is about. But it would also be easy to have a widget callback -
even an interact function - which simply assigns its parameters to global
variables. That should enable precisely the use case described, at the cost
of a few lines of boilerplate, without needing major changes to the widget
API model.

Thomas