[IPython-dev] Introducing IPython Turtle

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 22:16:40 EDT 2014

Awesome!

* https://github.com/macewanCMPT395/PACattack/blob/master/IPython/extensions/pacturtle.py
* https://github.com/jabowering/aspidites/blob/master/IPython/extensions/NewTurtle.py

Resources for Further Development:

* Packaging (setup.py, requirements.txt):
https://github.com/audreyr/cookiecutter-pypackage

* IPython Extensions: http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/config/extensions/
  * Likely not necessary if there are not any requirements besides:
    * Having your *turtle module (usually lowercased module name,
uppercased ClassName) in sys.path (python -m site)
    * Having IPython (>= ...) installed (requirements.txt)

* Docstrings: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/sphinxcontrib-napoleon
(IPython is NumPy style)

* Reference Turtle Implementation:
  * https://docs.python.org/2/library/turtle.html
  * http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/tip/Lib/turtle.py

On 4/7/14, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to PACAttack and Aspidites for implementing notebook turtle
> interfaces - I've tested both versions, and they work very nicely (though
> PACattack, your examples use 'rotate' when your turtle has 'right' and
> 'left' methods).
>
> We'd love to see one of these projects - or a merger of the best bits of
> both - become a package that people can easily install and use. The next
> step towards that would be separating your code out from the IPython source
> code: forking and modifying IPython might be an easy way to get started,
> but users will expect to install it separately and use it from a regular
> IPython environment. We've been asked several times about turtles in the
> notebook, so there are definitely people interested in using something like
> this. Get in touch if you're interested, we can help you take it forwards.
>
> Best wishes,
> Thomas
>

> On 7 April 2014 14:44, Claudine Bull <bullclaudine at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are PACAttack, senior students at MacEwan University in Edmonton, AB.
>> Cameron Macdonell and Greg Wilson are mentoring us this term on our
>> Software Engineering project. The team members are Andrew Kind, Claudine
>> Gladue, and Paul Schmermund.
>>
>> Our goal was to create a IPython Notebook application to mimic the
>> built-in Python Turtle module. We attempted to include as many Turtle
>> features as time permitted.
>>
>> We invite you to view and give our project a try:
>> https://github.com/macewanCMPT395/PACattack
>>
>> The button with '"i" will give you more information on how to run the
>> IPython Turtle. We look forward to any comments or suggestions you have.
>>
>> -PACattack

Wes Turner