[IPython-dev] Slideshow mode for IPython 2.0

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 14:20:47 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Damián Avila <damianavila at gmail.com> wrote:

> People, you are mistaken two things... three in fact...
>
> 1) IPython slides, generated from IPython.nbconvert using reveal.js,
> static presentations. About the customization, you can check some of my
> blog post about it:
> http://www.damian.oquanta.info/categories/slideshow.html. There are a lot
> of things to improve, and it will be discussed soon here and in proper
> issues.
>
> 2) Slideshow mode: This is a js hack from Mathias, which let you see the
> IPython notebook as a slideshow, but it is live, I mean you can run code in
> the slideshow itself... and the installation step are described here
> (possibly outdated, and I don't know if it is IPython 2.0 compatible, I did
> not check it yet):
> http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/fperez/nb-slideshow-template/blob/master/install-support.ipynb
>
> 3) Live_Reveal IPython extension, which gives you an slideshow powered by
> reveal.js, but not static as IPython slides, instead they are lives, I mean
> you can execute code as with the slidemode. This is still in development
> and working in IPython 1.x... I am not making the adjustment to use it in
> IPython 2.0: https://github.com/damianavila/live_reveal

Are there plans to incorporate a live slideshow mode into IPython proper or
is that beyond the scope of the project?

I've used static reveal.js presentations in the past but it's really cool
to do a live calculation when you want to demonstrate that a piece of code
really is as fast as you're saying it is.