[IPython-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: A fresh approach for plotting?

Jacob Vanderplas jakevdp at cs.washington.edu
Tue Apr 22 09:55:38 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 12:43 AM, Matthias BUSSONNIER <
bussonniermatthias at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, mpld3 and plot.ly both share an common framework which is
> open-source and don't require sending data to plot.ly server :

This is not precisely true: the mplexporter framework is an open sourced
means of extracting data from a matplotlib plot. Both mpld3 and plotly have
hooks to use this, but that's where the similarities between plotly and
mpld3 end.

mpld3 is entirely open source, and creates a client-side view of the plot
which uses HTML/D3js.  Plotly's core plotting code is closed-source, and
once you call the plotly API it does in fact move your data to their server
in order to call proprietary code to generate your plot.

You can use mpld3 without being connected to the internet; you can't use
plotly without a web connection.

You can view the mpld3 python and javascript source on github; there is no
way that I know of to examine the source code that generates plotly plots.

I hope that clarifies things,
   Jake