[IPython-dev] IPython 2.0.0 -- Firefox issues

Mark Voorhies mark.voorhies at ucsf.edu
Wed Apr 23 01:23:06 EDT 2014

On 04/21/2014 11:06 AM, Angelika Schneider wrote:
> I have the same problem with Firefox (on Mac, Redhat 5.8 and CentOS 6.5) and
> IPython 2.0:
>
> * "ipython notebook" launches the dashboard in Firefox as expected
> * "New notebook" creates a new notebook and opens a tab for it, but the page
> is blank and the notebook does not show up as "running"
> * Opening an existing notebook also yields only a blank page, and the
> notebook does not show up as "running"
> * No error messages in the terminal window, but the Web Console reports "
> SecurityError: The operation is insecure"
> * Launching Firefox in safe mode (with all add-ons disabled) does not fix
> the problem, creating a new profile does.
>
> After some debugging, I found that the problem is caused by changing  the
> cookie preference "Keep until:" " they expire"  to "ask me every time" (in
> Preferences->Privacy->History). As soon as I switch  to "they expire" or "I
> close Firefox" and reload the page with my notebook, it renders as expected
> and the notebook is shown as running. Creating new notebooks works also
> correctly.

Changing the cookie preference from "ask me every time" to "they expire" works
for me as well (Firefox 28.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 on Ubuntu 12.04, c.f.

A bit of pickaxing (git log -Scookie -p) finds commit 5d199385bf
This commit doesn't reproduce the behavior directly (notebook fails to start
due to an import error), but the following merge commit (dd39c908542ab8a24)
does, suggesting it's at least that old.

I opened an issue for this: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/5703

Thanks, Angelika, for figuring this out.

--Mark