[IPython-dev] Docker IPython

Jon Wilson jsw at fnal.gov
Tue Aug 5 12:11:38 EDT 2014

If any substantial fraction of your users will want
scipy/numpy/matplotlib, I would (almost, see below) recommend conda.
Conda was, as I understand it, created because pip left too many
barriers in place against the use of scipy/numpy etc.  Specifically,
experience indicated that many people who might otherwise have casually
investigated scientific python tools did not do so because pip required
them to have a proper FORTRAN development environment set up, and they
did not wish to figure out how to do this.

Conda distributes binaries rather than exclusively source, which is an
effective way around this sort of problem.

OTOH, a pure-python package that is hosted on PyPI (and therefore
installable via pip) can (usually) be trivially made into a conda
package via `conda skeleton pypi <package-name>`.  So making pip-style
packages tends to get you conda packages for almost free.

pip +1

Regards,
Jon