[IPython-dev] Docker IPython

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 14:11:25 EDT 2014

On 4 August 2014 22:33, Kyle Kelley <rgbkrk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Derivative image, ipython/scipystack (please suggest other names), could be
>
> * numpy
> * scipy
> * matplotlib
> * pandas
> * scikit-learn

If you call it scipystack, please put Sympy and nose in as well - a long
and heated discussion last year settled on a core set of packages that
distributions describing themselves as shipping the Scipy Stack should
include:

http://www.scipy.org/stackspec.html

As for packaging systems, I'd lean towards conda - it seems more in line
with our Jupyter-ish idea of cross-language tools for scientific computing.
Also, while pip can now handle wheels, you can't put wheels for Linux on
PyPI, so installing extension modules into a docker container with pip is
still not very practical.

Thomas