[IPython-dev] Docker IPython

bjoern.gruening@googlemail.com bjoern.gruening at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 12:03:03 EDT 2014

Hi,

as one of the IPython-Galaxy [1] developers we had such a similar
discussion about our IPython-docker image.

I really think we need to define you target audience. Imho, for an IPython
base Image our target audience it quite small. It should deliver a stable
and maintained IPython container. So everyone can build on-top of it.
Later we can build a second container, derived from it, with a full
installed scientific stack for teaching and so on ...

If you include to many tools it will not be used by many developers as base
image because to many peoples will disagree with your decision.

I would vote for a real basic set ... even the scipy stack is really
questionable for a "base image". If we go with the scipy stack than I would
reference the scipy community:

http://www.scipy.org/stackspec.html

Keep it small but stable, care about updates and documentation and let
other grow on top of your image.

Cheers,
Bjoern

[1] https://github.com/bgruening/galaxy-ipython