[IPython-dev] Docker IPython

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 14:18:19 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 9:46 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Base: ipython and its deps, installed using system packages or pip
> Base+SciPy: Base plus the extended scipy stack installed using system
> packages or pip
> Base+R kernel
> Base+Julia kernel
> Conda/Anaconda version: ipython and deps installed using conda. We
> should talk to Continuum about this

+1

And my vote is that we (ipython/jupyter) only deal with the first one or
two at the most. We should offer an official base image, possibly with the
scipy stack (with apt/pip), and let the rest of the community work on the
derivative ones (by community I mean both folks like R/Julia/Galaxy teams
and Continuum/Enthought/any other company).

We can't over-stretch ourselves too much, and we want a good ecosystem of
well-targeted images. But it's useful to have a base one we maintain, if
nothing else so that we understand what problems may be common to all these
scenarios and we solve them once and correctly.

Cheers