[IPython-dev] Separating the notebook from the file manager+text editor+terminal

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 14:22:13 EDT 2014

I am simultaneously +1 and -1 :)

+1: anything that helps us to write better, more modular code is a
huge improvement. As we add the terminal and text editor to the
notebook, we will have a great chance to improve these abstractions. I
think this will also help us to develop abstractions that enable our
different components to be reused in different contexts. I like that
and think it is important. Having separate repos for these components
*may* even make sense, although I wouldn't start there.

-1: I am have always been, and remain, opposed to turning our main
notebook app into a general web server project that can load and run
arbitrary combination of components. I think our notebook server
should run a fixed and consistent set of components for all users.
Anything different should be a "new app", not merely the same app
reconfigured.

Timing: I think the best way to proceed is to start developing the
terminal and text editor and see what abstractions start to develop
for these N=3 and N=4 cases

Dashboard: I too want to push back on the dashboard becoming a full
blown file manager. I am also opposed to there being multiple
dashboard that we maintain and which our users can choose between. I
think this is not a situation where we want to "settle disagreement by
making no decision and providing configuration instead." At the same
time, we are going to have to support more operations than we
currently do. The best model for balancing these concerns that I have
seen is the github UI. It basically has our UI, with a few extra
things for moving files around. I think we should aim for something
like that.