[IPython-dev] IPython3/Jupyter Magics for Python-based kernels

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 01:12:59 EDT 2014

I think if you want to add something like magics for Python-wrapped kernels
based on your magickernel.py code, that would be interesting. Standardizing
magics across kernel languages is something that is attractive on its face,
but we deemed outside the scope of the message / kernel specification,
because it is probably not feasible to do in a language agnostic way (For
example, IPython magics can contain Python string-formatting code with
Python expressions that are evaluated in the interactive namespace).
Clarification of discussions like this are part of the reasoning behind the
Jupyter/IPython split:

   - Jupyter is language-agnostic computing tools, such as the message
   protocol, notebook document format, and notebook UI.
   - IPython is a better interactive Python environment, with some
   extensions to the Python language for interactive use.
   - IPython provides a Jupyter Kernel.
   - Magics are 100% an IPython feature, and not in any way related to
   Jupyter.
   - Other kernels are welcome to implement extensions to their language
   (including Python!) as they see fit,
   as similar or different to IPython’s magics system as makes sense.

Implementing magics for basic Python-wrapped kernels (i.e. not R, Julia,
Ruby, Haskell, etc.) would be simple, and potentially useful, depending on
how many of these kernels are developed. I do not expect most first-class
kernels to go this route, in which case they would not share any magic
code. Further, I don’t think the magic code developed for this use case
would even be shared by IPython.

But it would still be an interesting exercise, and might encourage other
kernels to take the multi-interpreter approach if it is successful.

Sounds like a fun experiment!

-MinRK
​