[IPython-dev] nbformat updates

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 18:44:22 EDT 2014

Hello all,

IPython 3.0 will carry major updates to both the kernel message spec
<http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/development/messaging.html> and
the notebook
document format <https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/6045>. The message
spec changes landed months ago, and include shims to continue supporting
kernels that talk msg spec v4 via adapters. We will backport the new
nbformat to 2.3 once it is finalized, so that 2.x users will still be able
to read IPython notebooks authored in 3.0 (they will be downgraded to the
old nbformat on open).

The question under discussion right now: Do we need shims like those in the
message specification in the notebook format? The main place where the
nbformat is a public API is in nbconvert, where custom templates or
preprocessors need to know the nbformat structure. Code such as Jake
Vanderplas’ liquid_tags for pelican will need to be updated to work with
IPython 3.0. Shims for nbformat would be a lot more complicated than for
the message spec, so I want to gauge interest / need before investing too
much time in it.

-MinRK
​