[IPython-dev] Create New Notebook from Command-line

Andrew Gibiansky andrew.gibiansky at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 14:41:58 EST 2014

Hey all,

I like to use `ipython notebook MyNotebook.ipynb` to open an ipynb file.
However, if I use this on a file that doesn't exist, I get:

2014-12-04 11:39:39.952 [NotebookApp] CRITICAL | No such file or directory:
/Users/person/MyNotebook.ipynb

How can I programmatically create a new notebook so that `ipython notebook
TheNB.ipynb` will work? This must be either command-line commands or Python
code, but looking into ipython flags there doesn't seem to be anything.
Does anyone have any suggestions? ("Press the button" does not work in my
case)

thanks!
Andrew