[IPython-dev] Making custom converter/template with nbconvert

Rafał Skolasiński rjtskolasinski at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 16:40:30 EST 2014

Hi guys,

I am working on making a converter that would translate ipython notebooks
into edX course format (OLX - open learning format).

My idea is to treat one ipython notebook as a subsection of the course
(it's like the whole chapter describing separate topic divided into few
units).

I tested how nbconvert --to html works and it's going into edX format very
smoothly.
So far I would only have to change location of the folders with figures and
remove 'end of paragraph' symbol.

Unfortunately each unit must go into separate html file and here comes my
first question: what is the easiest way to force nbconverter to export one
notebook into few html files (let's say Heading 1 will start every unit and
at the same time will be the name of it)?

I will be very grateful for your help and advice where I should start.

Best,
Rafal