[IPython-dev] pyzmq problems in sending shell messages to a kernel

Jason Grout jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Wed Feb 12 14:04:30 EST 2014

On 2/12/14 12:54 PM, MinRK wrote:
> Nothing springs to mind, but I will think about this one for a while.
> Are there likely other outstanding requests to the same kernel at the
> time, and/or from the same requesting socket? If so, can you ballpark
> how many? What are you using to indicate that pyzmq thinks the message
> has been sent?

There shouldn't be any other outstanding requests to the same kernel tcp
port (i.e., the receiving side; it literally is just sitting there
waiting for computation requests).  As for messages queuing up on the
sending side, I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any (i.e., we create a
new socket), but I will check that both with our code and with wireshark.

To tell pyzmq thought it was sending/receiving a message, I inserted
code like this in the zmq/eventloop/zmqstream.py file, in the
_handle_send and _handle_recv methods, just after the recv_multipart or
send_multipart calls:

import logging
logging.getLogger('sagecell').info('sent ZMQ: %s %s'%(msg, status))

The result in the _handle_send is that the message was printed out, with
a status of None.  The receiving side didn't print anything out in the
anomalous cases, but did print out the received message in the vast
majority of times.

Thanks,

Jason