[IPython-dev] IPython Notebook Diagrams

Andrew Gibiansky andrew.gibiansky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 18:46:07 EST 2014

That's really cool!

However, I'm looking for a solution such that the diagram code is hidden from the user. This would make it plausible to publish the result as a blog or something along those lines, where the code used to make the diagram is unnecessary, but the diagram itself is.

-- Andrew

On February 19, 2014 at 3:44:52 PM, Tavish Armstrong (tavisharmstrong at gmail.com) wrote:

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 03:37:24PM -0800, Andrew Gibiansky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am tired of needing to create diagrams externally and then either
> use Markdown links (which require the image to be exported and saved
> somewhere) or copy/pasting the base64 encoding of the image into the
> Markdown cell (which occasionally crashes my browser for big images).
> I would like to be able to create diagrams immediately within the
> Markdown cells.
>
> What's the best way to do this? I wanted to go with RaphaelJS and put
> <script> tags within Markdown cells, but it seems that that is broken
> on master due to bad parsing of quotes (though I've heard discussion
> that it'll be completely removed in 1.0, which leaves me confused,
> since it's clearly not completely removed...)
>
> How would you suggest going about this goal?

For very simple diagrams, you might want to take a look at %blockdiag
magic:

https://bitbucket.org/vladf/ipython-diags

It takes a cell containing...

%%blockdiag
{
a -> b -> c -> d;
c -> e;
e -> a;
}

and generates a block/sequence/activity diagram using that spec.

Hope this helps,
--
Tavish