[IPython-dev] Preferred way to customize CSS for something that will be displayed on nbviewer?

Aron Ahmadia aron at ahmadia.net
Wed Feb 19 22:58:30 EST 2014

Let's say I've developed a snazzy CSS file and I want it so that an
uploaded notebook being viewed on nbviewer uses my custom CSS.

I've seen this bit of code in the wild[1]:

from IPython.core.display import HTML
def css_styling():
    styles = open("../styles/custom.css", "r").read()
    return HTML(styles)
css_styling()

But this seems a bit awkward, since I'm effectively just piping the CSS
file into the notebook's rendered HTML.  Does nbviewer know to look
anywhere for CSS, or is this the best we have right now?

-A

[1]
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/barbagroup/AeroPython/blob/master/lessons/00_Lesson00_QuickPythonIntro.ipynb