[IPython-dev] widget models caching the view

Jason Grout jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Sat Feb 22 22:37:46 EST 2014

On 2/22/14 9:19 PM, Jason Grout wrote:
> On 2/22/14 8:58 PM, Brian Granger wrote:

>> Am I missing something?

I think I see better what you are saying.  Are you saying that currently
this works:

s=Slider(...)
display(s)

(and then in another cell)

display(s)

but then after this change, that wouldn't work?  I guess it would still
"work", in that it would probably move the slider DOM element to the new
position.  But I think you're right that it would make displaying the
same widget multiple times difficult.

Do we want to support displaying a single widget multiple times (for
example, as different sliders)?  Perhaps that is the slippery slope to
exposing full view classes in Python so you can display the slider data
also as other controls elsewhere?

Thanks,

Jason