[IPython-dev] Using the IPython API to configure profiles

Clare Sloggett claresloggett at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 07:35:15 EST 2014

Hi all,

I'm new to this list so please let me know if it's not a good right place
for this question, etc.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the IPython API to generate ipython
profile configuration files, and if so, where I can find some guidance on
doing this.

The motivation is: I'm using python to automate some setup of ipython
notebook. I can use python to call the shell with "ipython profile create
nbserver" and then to edit the resulting ipython_config.py file. However
since I'm in python already, this seems roundabout - is it possible to just
use the IPython API directly to do these things?

I've found the API reference at
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/api/index.html .

I haven't found any tutorials or guides on using the IPython API, so I'm
just hunting through the reference, and maybe this is why I'm having
trouble working out the right way to approach this task. Is creating an
ipython profile, and configuring it, a sensible thing to do using the API,
and if so, can anyone give me some pointers?

So far I have found a way (maybe not the best way?) to create a new profile
directory
using IPython.core.profiledir.ProfileDir.create_profile_dir_by_name(), but
I haven't discovered any good way to handle configuration.

Thanks in advance!

Clare