[IPython-dev] widget value persistence

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 14:57:10 EST 2014

Hi Darren,

On 27 February 2014 11:37, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I have a question about portions of the analysis that would
> require user interaction via a widget. Suppose I start from an ipynb
> template which includes a slider that defaults to 25. My particular dataset
> requires the slider to be set to 30. Is it possible for an ipynb widget to
> save its most recent value as the new default value for the next time the
> notebook is run? This would be a game-changer for developing user
> interfaces for scientific applications.

We haven't yet worked out how to save widgets, so they disappear entirely
when you reload a notebook. We'll get to that for 3.0, and I imagine then
that the latest value of a slider will be saved with the notebook.

However, if you re-run the cell, I think it will (and should) always return
the default to what the code specifies. I think it's important that running
code has a predictable result. But I don't think this is a problem: if you
want the default to be 30, just set it to 30 in your code.

Best wishes,
Thomas