[IPython-dev] Passing Arguments to Kernels

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 23:40:47 EST 2014

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad you've found a (hackish) workaround, because this isn't something
for which we have a clean solution quite yet. But it has become very clear
to us that providing a clean way of describing and configuring custom
kernels is an important problem, and we've already been tossing around some
ideas on the problem. Hopefully after the dust settles a bit regarding all
the new JS code, we can have a look at this.

It's not completely trivial, since ipython (as you know well) is now really
the entry point to multiple related applications: kernels, clients, and the
notebook server which is something that manages both.  So we're going to
have to carefully disentangle this hairball, to come up with a way to
manage things generically. We want this architecture to be fully usable to
kernels from all languages.

Cheers, and keep up the good work with IHaskell!