[IPython-dev] odd warning in notebook

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 12:45:46 EST 2014

On 9 January 2014 09:39, Zoltán Vörös <zvoros at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are right: I started with a profile that loads sympy and defines a
> couple of variables. If I remove that from the profile, everything works
> fine. But again, I didn't have this problem a day ago, and I haven't
> updated sympy on my system, only ipython, so something must have changed in
> ipython proper. Why would sympy be involved at all in a simple string
> operation?

IPython has started issuing warnings when formatters throw an error,
whereas previously they failed silently.

My understanding is that Sympy's formatter fires on lists, so that it will
display a list of Sympy expressions nicely. But that means it will try to
process any list that's displayed. There's probably an option somewhere to
control that behaviour.

Thomas