[IPython-dev] Please read: IPython Notebook UI goes modal

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 16:22:59 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Zoltán Vörös <zvoros at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> But modifiers are already used for some shortcuts. Is there some
> specific reason for steering clear of Cntr+i? I have never used vim, so
> for me (i i) and Cntr+i are probably the same, but I would say that
> Cntr+i is somewhat more natural.

One of the main reasons for both the modal approach and the weird `^M i`
two-stroke shortcuts is that available shortcuts when working inside an
existing application (the browser) is that there are almost normal modifier
shortcuts that are actually available (even ^M conflicted with something, I
don't remember what) , and every one we add is another conflict.  I think
the double-i makes sense for interrupt and restart.