[IPython-dev] Please read: IPython Notebook UI goes modal

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 16:39:50 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Jason Grout <jason-sage at creativetrax.com>wrote:

> On 1/11/14, 4:30 PM, Jason Grout wrote:
> > On 1/11/14, 4:22 PM, MinRK wrote:
> >> I think the double-i makes sense for interrupt and restart.
> >
> > What about making it I I (so you have to hold down shift)?
> >
> > Having a false positive for restarting the kernel can be a huge
> > deal---you can't undo that.
>
> I would advocate for not even having a shortcut for restarting the
> kernel and rely on the menu/buttons for that.  Restarting the kernel is
> a very disruptive action, so I think it should have a fairly disruptive
> invocation procedure.
>
> You can always put a shortcut in later if people are always complaining
> that they can't restart kernels fast enough :).

Since we already have complaints that we don't have a shortcut for restart
&& run all,
I think this might be a step too far, but I wouldn't object to shift +
double. Since restart is already protected behind a dialog, I think it's
not too bad.

But this does point to 'double-click' being something that we should make
generically available, rather than a special case for delete.

-MinRK