[IPython-dev] Please read: IPython Notebook UI goes modal

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 17:02:05 EST 2014

Min has made some of the point I have been thinking about but a few more:

* The main thing we have to protect against is new users thinking they
can type in command mode. Using things like shift+i doesn't provide
any protection against that.
* The double press action we are using for delete has a relatively
short timeout. It is very unlikely that a user would accidentally
trigger that - even a confused vim user trying to enter insert mode
with i.
* I think we should have a single pattern for "dangerous actions". I
like the double press idea and it keeps the modifier keys free for
other things.