[IPython-dev] requirements for porting ipython to a new gui

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 00:02:41 EST 2014

Hi,

We are in a busy week where we all meet to prepare the next version of IPython.
If we don't respond rapidly don't hesitate to re-ping us.

You can also directly ask on hip chat (cf link on IPython.org) or open a github issue.

Le 14 janv. 2014 à 10:14, Dov Grobgeld a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking into the requirements for porting IPython to a new GUI, namely the blender console.
>
> Is there a document describing the steps and requirements of the underlying API to get it to work.
>
> Currently trying to do:
>
> import IPython
> IPython.embed()
>
> fails because sys.stdin is set to None by blender. But I see e.g. in the qtconsole terminal that sys.stdin is left untouched, so I understand that is not the way you hook into IPython.

IIRC we don't support None, sys.stdin should be a file like (that eventually raise on some unsupported operations?)
We had the discussion somewhere at some point (on github ?)  but I don't find it.

Have you had a look at
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/interactive/reference.html#embedding

and embeding kernel only  to have frontend potentially on a separate process ?

(It would be great that blender could embed IPython !)