[IPython-dev] Simple Kernel Example

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 17:18:59 EST 2014

Hello devs,

I've looked at the IPython docs, and IHaskell, IJulia, and IRuby backends,
but having a bit of trouble seeing exactly what needs to be done to create a
new kernel. I assume that a kernel could be an executable in any language
that receives a filename whose contents are the configuration items (like
port numbers). Then, I guess, it starts up threads to listen to those ports
handling XMP data.

If there were a simple HelloWorld-type kernel, that would be very helpful.
For example, just a hello.py file that listened to the right ports, and
returned an effective response of "Ok" (without doing anything) would be
enough to get me started.

Is there anything similar to that?

Thanks for any help or pointers!

-Doug