[IPython-dev] Simple Kernel Example

Mateusz Paprocki mattpap at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 17:36:57 EST 2014

Hi,

On 16 January 2014 23:18, Doug Blank <doug.blank at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello devs,
>
> I've looked at the IPython docs, and IHaskell, IJulia, and IRuby backends,
> but having a bit of trouble seeing exactly what needs to be done to create a
> new kernel. I assume that a kernel could be an executable in any language
> that receives a filename whose contents are the configuration items (like
> port numbers). Then, I guess, it starts up threads to listen to those ports
> handling XMP data.
>
> If there were a simple HelloWorld-type kernel, that would be very helpful.
> For example, just a hello.py file that listened to the right ports, and
> returned an effective response of "Ok" (without doing anything) would be
> enough to get me started.
>
> Is there anything similar to that?
>
> Thanks for any help or pointers!

I can point you to my own developments:
https://github.com/mattpap/IScala and
https://github.com/mattpap/IAldor. IScala is a complete implementation
of a Scala-language kernel (in Scala), so it may not help you much.
IAldor is basically an implementation of IPython's message protocol in
pure C. There is a thin layer for interoperability with Aldor's
compiler (https://github.com/pippijn/Aldor), but it can be easily
removed. I was about to actually split this project into two, so that
the Aldor independent part could be reused in other projects.
Unfortunately I didn't have time to finish this and the implementation
is very rough, so if you try it out and encounter any segmentation
faults, that's its current status.