[IPython-dev] Simple Kernel Example

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 12:41:25 EST 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Matthias BUSSONNIER
<bussonniermatthias at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>>> Haven't looked at your simple_kernel.py yet.
>>
>> I have cleaned up the code some, but as far as I can tell, nothing is working.
>
> I'm not sure sockets like passing between threads.
> And I think kernel side should use bind instead of connect because there is an asymetrie in req/res and pub/sub

Thanks for the feedback... your comments help me realize that I was
looking at the wrong side of the socket code as examples. I've made
more progress, but still looking for help on the code:

https://github.com/dsblank/simple_kernel

Some specific questions:

1) Does the kernel need to handle the "ident" bytes on the front end
of messages before the delimiter? I see a couple of options: a) ignore
them, b) pass them back with responses, c) do something with them?
What do they represent?

2) Could someone provide an example of a execute_request/execute_reply
exchange of messages. I'm having trouble getting the conversation to
work. Specifically, looking for how execute_reply, pyout, pyin
message_types are related, and which sockets they are sent on.

-Doug