[IPython-dev] Quick question out of interest...

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 20:45:54 EST 2014

Hi Carl

On 24 January 2014 17:26, Carl Smith <carl.input at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone here who uses the tools with the Eclipse style interfaces,
> such as Wakari, Spyder and Canopy, have a few minutes to explain any
> benefits they find in working through those types of user interfaces?

I use Spyder, but I tweak the UI down to two panels. Here's a screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/FKvUvR6.png

Normally my second panel is open to the 'Outline' view; I find this very
helpful to get an overview of large files. Another common thing people have
is a console inside their IDE - I tend to keep it in a separate window
instead, but I'm switching between that and the IDE quite often, so it's
still part of my programming workflow.

Perhaps your description of the IPython API as 'linear' is significant.
Notebooks tend to be a series of steps presented in order, but larger
coding projects are more like a tree (packages > modules > classes >
methods) with lots of cross references (imports, function calls). So your
thinking when working on them has to be less linear.

Best wishes,
Thomas