[IPython-dev] Filename with accents in the Git repository

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net
Tue Jan 28 07:03:01 EST 2014

Konrad Hinsen writes:

 > Git seems to have problems with this filename, at least
 > under MacOS X. It reports is as "untracked", but if I delete
 > it, it becomes marked as "deleted". Even a fresh clone
 > of the repository, right from GitHub, has this untracked file.
 >
 > Is there some Git configuration trick to fix this?

I just ran into a Git expert on the corridor, so I can answer my own
question.

MacOS users need to set a special Git configuration option:

  git config --global core.precomposeunicode true

This takes effect for all repositories created or cloned in the
future. There is no way to fix existing repositories, they must
be cloned again.

Konrad.