[IPython-dev] Static widgets

Cyrille Rossant cyrille.rossant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 13:16:17 EST 2014

Hi,

I just tried the notebook widgets, and they look really great. I'm
wondering how widgets integrate with the nbformat, nbviewer,
nbconvert, etc. It seems to me that, currently, widgets are not saved
in .ipynb at all? It might be interesting to have the option to output
them statically in some sort (even if they do not interact with
anything).

For instance, when viewing a notebook containing widgets on nbviewer,
those widgets do not appear at all. One needs to download and execute
the notebook in an IPython session to see how the widgets look like.

More generally, I'm thinking about how one could create offline
interactive documents with IPython. A notebook containing widgets
could be converted in HTML with nbconvert. The HTML document would
contain Javascript placeholders for function callbacks, and one would
be free to write custom Javascript code responding to widget
interactivity (thereby replacing Python by Javascript in the
interaction loop). That would be really cool. Is that something that's
going to be possible at some point?

Best,
Cyrille