[IPython-dev] Getting the size of ipython notebook cell

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 12:52:32 EDT 2014

On 9 July 2014 11:41, Matthias Bussonnier <bussonniermatthias at gmail.com>
wrote:

> But you will piss off user that have users that have data frame that are
> just slightly too big to fit,
> and will be forced to explicitly tell not to truncate.

I think truncation by default is necessary - data frames can easily be far
too big to display wholesale. Of course choosing where you start truncating
is difficult, but pandas exposes that as a configurable option (and the
default displays far more than numpy before it starts truncating).

> you might have a .widget() that show a subpart of the table and fetches
the new parts as you scroll

It would be great to see something like this, but it's also important to
have a good static display. Apart from anything else, you can't rely on
having a kernel running with that object in the namespace to render the
notebook - dynamically loading data from the kernel won't work on nbviewer,
for instance.

Thomas