[IPython-dev] [sage-cloud] ijulia?

William Stein wstein at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 11:09:35 EDT 2014

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Harald Schilly
<harald.schilly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM, William A Stein <wstein at uw.edu> wrote:
>> I'll write to IPython-dev.   The problem isn't about determining
>> whether somebody started the ipython notebook server in julia mode,
>> but determining which mode the IPython notebook *needs* to be started
>> in order to open a given ipynb document.
>
> To me, this looks like there must be a convention to store that
> information in the ipynb metadata. Right now, I can only see "name"
> and "signature". My first idea would be to add an additional key
> "backend" (?) and the values are "ipython", "python", "julia", "R",
> "sage", ... with the default being "ipython" of course.

Is this is a suggestion for a way to change IPython notebook itself?

For  IPython users:  If you start an IPython notebook server (say in
python mode) and try to open a notebook with backend:'julia', would it
just give an error and tell the user to run another notebook server
with a julia backend?

For SageMathCloud users: I can write code to start several notebook
servers, which run simulaneously, I guess, assuming their state files
don't conflict.

 -- William

> Harald
>
> --