[IPython-dev] [sage-cloud] ijulia?

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 23:06:24 EDT 2014

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 8:09 AM, William Stein <wstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Harald Schilly
> <harald.schilly at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM, William A Stein <wstein at uw.edu> wrote:
> >> I'll write to IPython-dev.   The problem isn't about determining
> >> whether somebody started the ipython notebook server in julia mode,
> >> but determining which mode the IPython notebook *needs* to be started
> >> in order to open a given ipynb document.
> >
> > To me, this looks like there must be a convention to store that
> > information in the ipynb metadata. Right now, I can only see "name"
> > and "signature". My first idea would be to add an additional key
> > "backend" (?) and the values are "ipython", "python", "julia", "R",
> > "sage", ... with the default being "ipython" of course.
>
> Is this is a suggestion for a way to change IPython notebook itself?
>
> For  IPython users:  If you start an IPython notebook server (say in
> python mode) and try to open a notebook with backend:'julia', would it
> just give an error and tell the user to run another notebook server
> with a julia backend?
>
> For SageMathCloud users: I can write code to start several notebook
> servers, which run simulaneously, I guess, assuming their state files
> don't conflict.

IPython 3 adds a 'kernel spec' for describing different kinds of kernels,
so there won't be a reason to have separate notebook servers for different
kernels. PR #6126 <https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/6126> adds one
of the last pieces for this, so you can switch kernels at runtime, and
associate a notebook with a given kernel.

-MinRK