[IPython-dev] automatic quoting in interactive shell

Brian Wylie briford.wylie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 15:59:40 EDT 2014

Hi All,

My googling is failing me.. I have the following issue...

I'm using the IPython Interactive Shell (which is super awesome BTW).. and
I'm playing around with configuration...

cfg.InteractiveShellEmbed.autocall = 2

is spiffy as it will try to automatically add parenthesis..  the thing that
I can't find is how to turn on 'automatic quoting' by default (see
below)... it works if I put a comma at the beginning of the line but
obviously you don't want to require users to do/know that..

So any pointers to docs/issues or 'do this you dork' are happily accepted :)

Workbench[6]> help

--------------> help()

Welcome to Workbench Help:

- workbench.help(topic) -- where topic can be a help, command or worker

- workbench.help('basic') -- for getting started help

- Workbench[7]> ,help meta     <--- notice the tiny comma at the beginning

meta

 This worker computes meta data for any file type.

 Input: [u'sample']

- Workbench[8]> help meta

NameError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)

-bri