[IPython-dev] IPython goes crazy when redirecting stdout on windows

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 16:26:45 EDT 2014

On 22 July 2014 12:34, Robert Gomulka <r.gom1977 at gmail.com> wrote:

> import colorama
> colorama.init()
> My prompt becomes garbled and tab completion stops working.
> When I call colorama.deinit() they start working (and I still have colored
> output).
>
> But when I remove colorama folder and start ipython, I have colors, but
> prompt is garbled after import stdout_tst.
> Is there any hidden dependency? I'm lost at this point ...

IPython doesn't use colorama at all, but I believe it and pyreadline (which
IPython does use) both try to interpret ANSI escape codes and do the
appropriate operations (e.g. changing colours) in the Windows console.
Presumably if they're both active and trying to do the same thing, they
conflict in some way.

Thomas