[IPython-dev] New Notebook extensions: Spell checking, document tools, cell tools

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 13:26:49 EDT 2014

On 27 July 2014 05:56, Doug Blank <doug.blank at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hum, no, and it is slightly more complicated than that. It is
>> "relatively" easy for pure js/css modules, but for things
>>  that require kernel-side there are some challenges.
>>

> Right, definitely talking about just the Notebook-side of things at this
> point. The kernel-side will probably have to be specific to that
> language/system. (I guess there is a third category that are JavaScript,
> but kernel specific.)

For things designed to work with the Python kernel, you can include the JS
parts as part of a Python package, and copy or symlink them into
nbextensions at runtime. This is what I do for the turtle widget, for
instance: https://github.com/takluyver/mobilechelonian/

In some ways, pure JS extensions are trickier, because you don't have the
packaging system for the kernel's language to fall back on. I think we'll
need to write some way that extensions can be installed and enabled from
the notebook UI.

Thomas