[IPython-dev] IDL/GDL kernel

Michael McKerns mmckerns at caltech.edu
Wed Jul 30 20:40:31 EDT 2014

Luke,

I know it's not what you are asking… but just to throw this into
the mix. you might be able to bridge some gaps with  one of
my old packages, pyIDL.  I'm just putting it out there in case
you haven't come across it.  It's unmaintained, but was fairly
feature complete a few years back.  I just stopped using IDL.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyIDL/
http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/~mmckerns/pyIDL.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyidl/

I'm guessing that you could see what I did to stop the IDL
processes in my IDL bindings, and maybe then leverage that.