[IPython-dev] Announcement: Set of IPython Notebooks to learn Python for Exploratory Computing

Greg Wilson gvwilson at third-bit.com
Thu Jul 31 13:56:47 EDT 2014

Mark Bakker <markbak at gmail.com <mailto:markbak at gmail.com>> wrote:
We have developed a series of 15 Notebooks for scientists and engineers
who want to use Python programming for exploratory computing, scipting,
data analysis, and visualization....

Satrajit Ghosh wrote:
> - how could we disseminate or find such modules that can be used for
> teaching, without having to go through every single notebook?
> - how do we describe the prior knowledge required through a dependency
> structure?

Greg Wilson writes:
During our sprint last week, Rémi Emonet and Raniere Silva started
exploring the idea of using off-the-shelf package managers to manage
lesson material [1,2] so that something like:

$ conda install barba-12-steps-navier-stokes

will do what it should.  I'm really excited by the idea, and hope to put
some time into it once September rolls around - if people are
interested, I'll send a note to this list once work gets under way.

Thanks,
Greg Wilson

[1]
https://softwarecarpentrylessonmanager.github.io/lesson-manager/04-howto.html