[IPython-dev] Announcement: Set of IPython Notebooks to learn Python for Exploratory Computing

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 19:01:29 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Greg Wilson <gvwilson at third-bit.com>
wrote:

> During our sprint last week, Rémi Emonet and Raniere Silva started
> exploring the idea of using off-the-shelf package managers to manage lesson
> material [1,2] so that something like:
>
> $ conda install barba-12-steps-navier-stokes
>
> will do what it should.  I'm really excited by the idea, and hope to put
> some time into it once September rolls around - if people are interested,
> I'll send a note to this list once work gets under way.

Please do so! I've been thinking lately a lot along those lines as well,
the 'code and data (up to some size limits) as a package'. I think there's
a lot of potential in that line of thinking, and we may be able to leverage
a lot of existing technology to make it easier to reuse bundles of material
that focus on a specific teaching or research context, making both
education and reproducible research easier.

The fact that there are valid limits to the above with enormous data sizes
shouldn't deter us from making progress on the many use cases where that
won't be an issue.

Cheers