[IPython-dev] Install and Demo Videos of Notebook Extensions

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 21:46:16 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks very much for forwarding the videos - it was very nice to have the
> demo to see what your extensions look like in practice.

You are welcomed, and I agree!  Sometimes it is hard to see what an
extension really is, and there isn't currently an uninstall.

> I believe this was already discussed in an earlier thread, but it would be
> very nice if there were a way to select suggestions for misspelled words.
>  I do this all time time using chrome's spell-checker, so it's a bit of a
> habit to right-click on words that have squiggly red underlines.  I guess
> some people don't like messing with the right-click menu, so maybe it could
> be toggled somehow?
>
> In any case, having indicators about misspelled words at all is a huge
> improvement.  Thanks for sharing the extension.

I agree that we should eventually add that functionality. I'm going to be
using the notebooks to teach writing this Fall. I'll explain that this
current method (no suggestions) fits the philosophy of the system... it
doesn't do everything for you, but tries to help along the way. And, just
perhaps, students might actually learn how to spell :)

But yes, in the long run, it should make suggestions on right-click.
Someone in the issue tracker even suggested that we could hook up
functionality to do tab word completion... that would be even more in the
spirit of the system :) Might as well take advantage of the dictionary, if
you've got it.

-Doug