[IPython-dev] Attaching IPython console to a remote IPython notebook server

graffitici at yahoo.com graffitici at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 15:19:06 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I am having trouble connecting to a remote IPython notebook server using IPython console. I can connect to it locally, but not remotely.

Say I have two computers:

Server: runs IPython Notebook
Client: connects to server via both the browser interface, and ipython console

I ran the Notebook using

$ ipython notebook --ip='0.0.0.0'

I can connect using the browser without any problems. Now I'm trying to get the IPython console connected. I took the string given by %connect_info, saved it in a JSON file c.json with the appropriate IP address:

{
  "stdin_port": 54912,
  "ip": "188.59.65.59",
  "control_port": 36866,
  "hb_port": 47773,
  "signature_scheme": "hmac-sha256",
  "key": "4158c188-4c7f-400c-95c9-cdb350a12e61",
  "shell_port": 33039,
  "transport": "tcp",
  "iopub_port": 59702
}

And then I run the following on the client:

$ ipython console --existing c.json

The connection never succeeds, and I never see the prompt. What's more interesting is that I ran tcpdump on the server for the shell_port, and I can see the requests from the client coming in, but the SYN packets are responded to by a RST flag.

Does anybody know why the notebook server is not accepting connections from the IPython kernel? Am I missing a configuration option?

Thanks