[IPython-dev] New(ish) IPython Notebook RPMs for Fedora 20?

Zoltán Vörös zvoros at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 10:59:41 EDT 2014

On 06/17/2014 02:55 PM, Vedran Sego wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> Currently, Fedora 20 provides packages
> python3-ipython-notebook-0.13.2-3.fc20.noarch
> python-ipython-notebook-0.13.2-3.fc20.noarch
>
> However, these do not support slides. My options to get this new
> functionality are to:
> 1. install a new version without using RPM, which I dislike because I
> prefer keeping my software installed via a packaging system for a
> better maintenance;
> 2. install from RawHide (the development packages of the next Fedora
> version), which would usually be a fine approach, but in this case the
> package dependencies require that I practically upgrade my whole
> system to this test version of Fedora, which I am not comfortable to
> do, for obvious reasons.
>
> So, my question is:
> Is there a RPM of IPython Notebook (preferably for Python3) that is
> compatible with Fedora 20 and has the slides functionality?
>
> Alternatively, is there a "quick and dirty" way around this (for
> example, replacing one or two RPM-installed files that will be
> automatically substituted once the new RPMs become available)?
>
> I am really not familiar with making RPMs, so I cannot make one
> myself, and waiting for the release of Fedora 21 is not an option
> because I have to choose now whether to use IPython Notbook or not
> (and start pretty much right away, if I choose to do so).
But you don't need a package for installing ipython, because all that
happens is that the source code is copied into the appropriate
directories in /usr/local/python/

So, really, the easiest, quickest and cleanest way of installing ipython
is to clone the development branch from github, and then run the setup
script that you can find in the root directory. Since you already have
ipython 0.13 (this was ages ago) running, you probably have all
dependencies installed. ipython doesn't use anything beyond what you can
install with easy_install or pip.

Cheers,
Zoltán