[IPython-dev] CodeMirror versions?

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 07:15:14 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:33 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:

> IPython 2.x uses CodeMirror 3.22
>
> IPython 3.x will use CodeMirror 4.x (but currently 3.24)
>
> Note that CodeMirror doesn’t do anything other than input. It is not
> involved in rendering markdown. We use marked
> <https://github.com/chjj/marked> for this, with gfm=True. If you are
> interested in what markdown rendering is available, the marked docs are the
> place to look.

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. I was looking for docs like:

http://codemirror.net/mode/markdown/index.html

(which doesn't seem to be 100% compatible with marked)

But for marked, I could only find:

https://github.com/chjj/marked/tree/master/test/tests

Of course there is:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/ipython/ipython/blob/2.x/examples/Notebook/Markdown%20Cells.ipynb

but is not exhaustive, and requires a running kernel to see the source
markdown. It also points to:

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax

which might be 100% compatible (can't tell for certain), but is not the
easiest documentation for a new student to read. For example, it assumes
that the user understands HTML.

We're looking for markdown documentation specific to notebooks, good for
beginners, kernel agnostic, covers LaTeX etc, and gives the output in terms
of rendered text. Anything like that exist?

Thanks!

-Doug