[IPython-dev] CodeMirror versions?

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 07:53:47 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Matthias Bussonnier <
bussonniermatthias at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax
>
> which might be 100% compatible (can't tell for certain), but is not the
> easiest documentation for a new student to read. For example, it assumes
> that the user understands HTML.
>

> This is the original definition of markdown.
> all other implementation are deviation of the original one.
>
> This is one of the issues with markdown that most extensions have slight
> variations.
>
> Even our way of including TeX in markdown is not teal markdown.
>
> Except for Latex, we are relatively close to GFM:
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/github-flavored-markdown

Great, thanks! That is very useful, as it specifies things that work that
IPython's own documentation implies otherwise. For example, on page:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/ipython/ipython/blob/2.x/examples/Notebook/Markdown%20Cells.ipynb

it says:

"Because Markdown is a superset of HTML you can even add things like HTML
tables"

implying that the only way to get tables is through HTML, which is
incorrect.

Looks like we'll be writing some documentation...

-Doug