[IPython-dev] Lineage graph for visible names

Mark Voorhies mark.voorhies at ucsf.edu
Fri Jun 27 16:58:35 EDT 2014

It just occurred to me that IPython's plumbing might make it easy to capture the lineage of the "user-generated" portion of the namespace
(i.e., a (almost) bipartite directed graph where the nodes are the objects reported by the %who magic plus the visible functions responsible
for generating them and the edges are object->function, indicating inputs, and function->object, indicating outputs).

Has anyone written something like this?

If I wanted to take a crack at it, what are the best entry points for capturing object creation?

Thanks,

Mark