[IPython-dev] nbconvert on Scientific Linux 5

Jon Wilson jsw at fnal.gov
Fri Jun 27 18:01:53 EDT 2014

Hi,
Because the scientific computing world moves quite slowly, many of the
systems I use are still running Scientific Linux 5 (based on RHEL 5).
This presents a problem for nbconvert, with its Haskell dependency.

Most of these systems don't have any Haskell packages installed, and I
don't have root in order to install them myself.  On one system (not
SL5), I was able to download the GHC binary and haskell-platform and
install them in userland.  But SL5 is still using GCC 2.5, so this
approach fails.

Is there any alternative to pandoc, or has anyone else encountered this
problem and found a workaround?  I don't think that I have the time to
set up GHC 6.8 and bootstrap my way up to 7.6.3+ as suggested here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8426472/compiling-ghc-7-2-on-linux-with-libc-version-2-7

In the meantime, my workaround is to copy notebooks from the SL5 machine
to the Fedora machine with working pandoc, nbconvert them there, and
copy them back.  It's quite painful compared to the more usual method.

Suggestions?
Regards,
Jon